the solemn air of a rich chapel
Horace Walpole’s Description 1784

The Tribune

The Tribune was built to house Walpole’s most valuable treasures. His priceless collection of miniatures was housed in a very fine rosewood cabinet (now in the Victoria and Albert Museum) and the walls and niches were crammed with pictures, statues, and expensive objets d’art. The grilled door resembles that of a bank vault and all but the most privileged of visitors were only allowed to witness the priceless collection through its bars.

In restoring the Tribune it was discovered that there had been three layers in the window embrasures: a plain glass window, a painted glass panel and the shutters. The window recesses have been rebuilt to accommodate this arrangement and a reproduction of the stained and painted glass is being produced by Canterbury Cathedral Glass Studios.